8.3.20

TOYAH ON
BBC RADIO SOLENT
WALL OF SOUND
WITH ALEX DYKE
3.3.2020


ALEX: ("It's A Mystery" plays) BBC Radio Solent and that's the mighty Toyah! Hello, Toyah! Are you feeling mighty this afternoon?

TOYAH: (on the phone) I'd like to think I always feel mighty, even though I'm barely 5 ft tall! (Alex snorts) I always have a bit of confidence about me, bit of attitude

ALEX: Absolutely. We did a programme on Saturday called "Pop On TV" and we were playing music that had become big through television

We found this clip of you (below) on
"Multi-Coloured Swap Shop" with Noel Edmonds in 1981 and you were giving him … not grief, not a hard time but you were very upfront and quite cheeky. You and Noel Edmunds were talking about a film you had made together -

TOYAH: Yes, we both made our acting debut together in a BBC2 play called "Glitter" in 1976. Can you believe that?

ALEX: Wow! That's what you were talking about, yeah -

TOYAH: Yeah, for quite a while he denied he was ever in it (they both laugh)

ALEX: Do you ever trawl YouTube and find -




TOYAH: No, I don't have to. I have an house, an archive full of everything I have ever done so I don't have to trawl anywhere. I've got stuff that even YouTube hasn't found. I never look for myself on Youtube

I'm always looking for other people and I'm always trying to find out the meaning of words. That's what I'm using YouTube for. It's like well, what does this phrase mean? What does LOL mean? I'm always leaning via YouTube but never looking for myself


ALEX: So why did you keep everything? Did you think this is great, this is me being famous, it's not going to last longer than six months so I'm going to keep every newspaper clipping, every VHS video from when I'm on TV

TOYAH: No. None of that. It's lasted for 42 years and I've been very influential as a programme maker, as a producer, a director of films as well as a singer and actress and a writer. So you have to keep an archive

Last Friday, "Toyah Solo", a box set of 7 CD's came out, which went to number one in all the pre-order charts, so if I didn't have an archive none of that could've happened. I'm about to have 5 vinyl albums be announced for Record Store Day in April so because I have the archive I'm able to still produce things that people can buy

ALEX:
Wow! It's an incredible career and goes from strength to strength. You're going to be playing the Tivoli in Wimborne on April the 18th with your old friend Hazel O'Connor

But at the time we thought pop was a throwaway business. We wouldn't keep playing the records when they dropped out of the charts – in most cases. You must be pleasantly surprised that you've kept it going, being at the top of your game for over 40 years?

TOYAH: In the 90s eighties artists could not give themselves away but in 2000 the phenomena of 80s artists coming together in multi-bill format meant we could play arenas. So I played Wembley Arena ffor the first time ever in my career in 2002 and I've not looked back since

So I think time, political change and cultural change has allowed us to come and remain constant. I've not stopped touring solidly since 2002. The irony is Hazel and I have never toured together in 40 years yet the peak of our careers was at the same time and the music that we are well remembered for was at the same period in time

We've both re-released material and my last album "In The Court Of The Crimson Queen" went into the Top 30 across the board in April last year and is still selling. My reason for this is that we didn't go into this thinking that this was temporary. We went into this thinking this is our lives

We honour the music and we love the music and we honour the audience. And that's what we do. You don't do it thinking “oh, this is only going to last six weeks”. You do it because this is for ever



ALEX:
Yeah, I get that. I just want to rewind a little bit, Toyah, because you get your first hit round about February 1981 and that's massive. You're never off Top Of The Pops, you're never off the TV in the 1980s

Was there a point in the mid 90s where you were playing to tiny audiences and you were thinking "we can't sell more than 40 or 50 tickets, is this actually not worth it now?" Did you ever get down to playing pubs?

TOYAH: No, in the 90s I was presenting "The Heaven And Earth Show" (above), "Watchdog Healthcheck", BBC "Holiday". I was presenting "Songs Of Praise", I was travelling the world for BBC "Holiday". I was doing some major major presenting, I wasn't performing

I did a few tours in theatres so the big turn around for me was in 2002 going straight into arenas. I also do Toyah "Up Close And Personal" and we deliberately take that to small communities and we play town halls or even village halls but those could sell out for a week. So I've not really had problems selling tickets ever

ALEX: I've seen you live so many times. You're absolutely magnificent, you look wonderful. Tivoli in Wimborne on the 18th of April - you're going to be up there with Hazel O'Connor. Thank you so much for returning to the afternoon "Wall Of Sound"

TOYAH: It's a pleasure. Thank you so much, Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home